We still receive many questions, such as “Does our organization need a PIM system” or “What can I use PIM software for?”. To answer that question, we ask what exactly a PIM system is.
What is a PIM system?
In a Product Information Management system, a company manages and organizes all relevant information about the products it produces or sells. Also, a solution provides a single place to collect, manage, and enrich your product information, create a product catalog, and distribute it to your sales and eCommerce channels. Moreover, a PIM solution makes creating and delivering compelling product experiences faster and easier.
Who Needs a PIM?
- Marketers who seek to deliver a consistent omnichannel product experience.
- Retailers and brands who want to strengthen relationships with suppliers.
- eCommerce Managers who understand the impact of product data quality on online sales.
- Data Governance teams who want to track and meet compliance needs.
A PIM software system is aimed at companies that produce or sell many products. These include manufacturers (manufacturing industry), trading companies, and retailers. These companies generally deal with large quantities of end products and parts. PIM software is a solution for keeping an overview of this. In addition, with a PIM solution, these companies have a software system for managing digital product information. Also, the product information can be published to sales channels from the PIM system, such as the webshop, marketplaces, Point of Sale systems, or catalogs. Of course, the product content from the PIM system can also be distributed to internal systems such as ERP, CRM, or BI.
Product information can be optimized for sale in the PIM software, and product relationships can be established.
Typical Problems Without a PIM Solution
Within companies that do not yet work with PIM software, product information is usually managed in different databases and systems. This leads to several problems, such as:
- There is no total overview within a company in the product range that is being conducted
- The product information is recorded differently per system
- The product information is not complete
- The product information is not up to date
- The product information is incorrect
- The product information is unsuitable to entice customers to purchase or is poorly formulated from an SEO perspective.
In short, there is not one central source or system in the company that manages product information. As a result, working with product information is not a great experience. It is complicated, error-prone, and, above all, takes a lot of time.
Why Use a PIM System?
- Streamline the onboarding process for suppliers and data providers
- Establish one source of truth for product information
- Improve the quality and consistency of product data across all channels
- Deliver a compelling product experience to drive great customer experiences
A system creates order in chaos. This is the basis on which product content can be optimized.
For example, to improve findability and saleability. In other words: When companies that have many products to manage to start working with a PIM system, there are a lot of benefits to be gained in the areas:
PIM Ensures Efficiency
- Product content must only be entered once or imported into a PIM system.
- Consulting product information becomes easy since there is a central system where all product information is available.
- Different departments can work together on product content in a PIM system
- The above points save time and annoyance and can shorten the “time to market” of new products.
You Can Rely on Product Information Being Correct and Up-to-Date
- Product information is stored in a PIM system in an unambiguous format
- All product information is managed in a PIM system according to an unambiguous product classification
- A sound PIM system detects product content that does not meet the quality requirements
- From the central system, product content is published to all company channels that need product information. Like the webshop, the cash register system, and so on. This means that the organization can be confident that the product content is consistent across all channels and of equal quality.
PIM Software Improves Sales
- Options (tools) for optimizing product content that increases the findability of products in search engines
- Options (tools) for optimizing product content that entices the customer to purchase the product
- Establishing product relationships between products to increase the number of lines per order
- They optimize product content to allow customers to make the right choice, reducing returns and customer frustration.
How does a system work?
Due to the growth in the number of providers and the increase in the number of channels (e.g., internet, social media, points of sale) and an increasingly demanding customer, the importance of good product content is increasing. Indeed, in digital channels, accurate and appealing product content is vital for your product range to be found on Google and then to entice the customer to purchase.