Would you like to implement the best possible PIM solution for your company? When comparing various Product Information Management (PIM) solutions, there are a few critical steps you should follow. We gathered for you three main tips on how to choose the best PIM solution. This way, you can concentrate on selecting a solution that fulfills both your current and future needs and your budget.
We see that three out of four organizations work with a wide variety of ad-hoc solutions and self-built systems for the enrichment of Product Information. To declutter their workflows and IT architecture, more and more entrepreneurs, IT staff, and project teams are deciding to implement one dedicated PIM system in their organization. This must either replace the individual tools or offer more options than the current “solution”. Here are three tips to keep in mind when choosing a PIM system:
Tip №1: Keep the implementation in mind
- Is choosing a new PIM system the solution to the current problems in the organization? Or is it because the data in the system is not properly maintained? With contaminated data, even the best PIM system will not help you achieve the goals.
- Do not make the mistake of fully approaching the implementation of a PIM system from within the IT department. It is much broader and there are important organizational issues and processes in all departments that must be cleared as well.
- Choose a project leader to bear responsibility for the implementation. This person is the key speaker or facilitator to all departments to get their working method, questions and wishes out.
- Make rules to guarantee quality, but also keep flexible handling of information and processes. It should not be too bureaucratic.
- From this basis, you can draw up a list of functional and technical requirements that the PIM system must meet.
A free, tailored shortlist
Stuck in Excel-hell or struggling with ERP-plugins for your product content? Fill in this 10-question survey and receive a tailored solution shortlist within minutes!Get your free shortlist
Tip №2: Distinguish Must-Haves From Nice-To-Haves
- It is advisable to get the pros and cons of PIM implementation in an organization.
- The long list of functional and technical requirements for all departments is expected. But customization is possible to cater to the needs of each department in an organization.
- Check the position: is this part of the primary business process? These are the hard demands or must-haves. Other features are the nice-to-haves. If the system does not (or in any other way) meet these requirements, it may still be very suitable for your organization.
- In general, no transactional and analytical data is stored in a separate PIM system. For that, you should have a link made with your other systems. This is the case with an all-in-one solution that also includes CRM, stock, accounting, and a webshop. So it is useful to extend your search to systems that have more than just PIM.
- The advice is to start simple. Fill the PIM system with necessary basic information and slowly expand it to fully enriched article information.
Tip №3: Choose A Long-Term Partner
- The short term is concrete and easy. But if you choose a PIM system, think in years instead of months. How will the organization be in five or ten years’ time? How many employees are there? Do you deliver to companies, individuals, or both? Compare your future plans with the possibilities of the package.
- Ask these things to PIM suppliers: Does the system run completely in the cloud? What about security and uptime? Which integrations are possible and can they be extended? How easy is it to scale up in the number of employees, articles, orders, and so on?
- Are you now working with a system that was once very nice (custom-built, invested a lot in it), but is now painfully slow and outdated? You’re not the only one. Further development is an absolute necessity, not an option. Choose a software vendor who feels the same way. There should be an update at least four times a year, preferably more often.
- Do you want to have a say in how the PIM system is being further developed? More and more companies are opting for ‘doing business with the source’. The software is built, implemented, and supported by one and the same partner.
- Does the method of communication, speed, accessibility, and approach of the provider suit you? Choosing a partner plays a big role in the process.
Want to learn more about PIM?
If you have any questions regarding Product Information Management, from PIM Selection to Implementation or how a PIM would fit in your IT landscape? Feel free to browse our Knowledge Base of articles on everything PIM related.Visit our Knowledge Base